CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Put a D in front of the word anger.....DANGER!!!


I want to share a few things that I have learned recently about Anger that I hope will give you, my loved ones, something to consider and possibly save you from harm. Soon after an episode with a loss of my temper, we were asked to speak in Church. (Kind of ironic, huh!?) I chose this topic. My pondering and research has opened my eyes to this weapon of uncontrolled anger.
What is anger? It is described as a strong passion or emotion of displeasure that starts small but can grow into dangerous proportion. It usually starts with a feeling of frustration, irritation or resentment. If that feeling is not investigated and resolved it can turn in to the emotion of anger which can build into rage (loss of self-control, "lose temper") then into fury (destructive rage verging on madness) and then wrath (desire or intent for revenge). Anger is dangerous and is the mother of a whole brood of evil actions. We speak hurtful words when we are angry, we offend, we inflict deep wounds, and these actions can be followed by years of pain and regret. "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured" - Author Unknown
What to do when angry?
1) Smile!!! Remember that Primary song: "If you chance to meet a frown, Do not let it stay, Quickly turn it upside down and smile that frown away". Humor helps too. Remember the time that I was hen-pecking Dad and in an effort to avoid getting angry, he walked away and left the room. But I followed him around and even outside where the hose just happened to be laying. He pointed it right at me and soaked me. Immediately be both started laughing! It was a good lesson for me on how humor, and smiles can turn a heated situation around.
2) Maintain control of yourself - especially your tongue!! It is a lie to believe that we cannot control our temper. No one makes us mad or angry, there is no force involved, but it is a conscious choice or decision to become angry. There are many effective ways to deal with frustrations and irritations, i.e., communicate feelings, express yourself in calmness. It is when we loose control of ourselves that the damage occurs.
3) I find that prayer is a powerful weapon against anger. I sometimes have to pray for help in discovering the root of feelings of resentment or frustration. It also helps me control the words I use to express my feelings.
4) Be slow to anger. Don't be easily provoked or offended. The Savior's words from 3 Nephi: "Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men to anger, one against another, but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away."
5) Be forgiving of others who may be struggling with anger. Frank is one of the most forgiving people that I know. He is so good to overlook my struggles and to forgive me for times when I have foolishly used the weapon of anger.
So to wrap up my ramblings I would say: Let go of the feelings that lead to anger. Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. The opposite of anger is agree-ability, calmness, contentment, enjoyment, good nature, happiness, joy, peace and pleasantness. These are the things that make life worth living and life is too short (take it from a 50 year old) to waste being angry.
Love to you all,
Mom/Beth

1 comments:

Candice@The Fellas and I said...

Wise words from a wise woman. Thanks for the advice. Although I would suggest that some anger, if controlled, can be a good thing. Anger is a powerful motivator. And, I would argue that we would be singing "God Save the Queen" if some guys in the late 1700's weren't a bit angry. But your overall point is well taken. Uncontrolled anger can be very dangerous.