CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

"The" Quilt


It is finally finished! This quilt has a rather interesting story which I am so excited to share with you all.
It had its start probably 30 years ago when Clara Wolfe (Mom-mom) embroidered the quilt top. I am guessing that she began the project in 1976 around the time of America's Bicentennial represented by the eagle and red-white-blue colors. After Mom-mom passed away in 1983, the quilt top was given to my Mom, Carol Ann. Some years later she gave the top to me and I stored it in our cedar chest and forgot about it. In 2006, Katie received her call to serve in the Philadelphia Pennsylvania Mission. What a coincidence that she was called to area where my Mom and Dad joined the LDS Church 45 years and where Mom-mom was born, raised and stitched the quilt top! It wasn't until Katie had departed for her mission that I came across the quilt top in the cedar chest and the idea was born to finish what Mom-mom had started so long ago and present it to Katie as a keepsake of her mission experience. It would tie generations and geography together!
It took over a year to complete the hand quilting and I loved every minute of it. Many thoughts and memories went through my mind as I stitched. I finished the stitching earlier this year and today gave it a final washing and laid it in the sun to dry.
You can see in this photo that the embroidery in the corners tells the story of the quilt.

1 comments:

Candice@The Fellas and I said...

How beautiful! I love it.